Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Favorite author?

My favorite author that I have came across does not fall under any of the ones I read when taking world lit 1 and 2. I would have to say Hunter S. Thompson would have to be the most appealing writer/author/journalist of all time. Dr. Gonzo, his name from creating what is called "gonzo" journalism, was a very witty man with his words. After being required to read The Great Shark Hunt in one of my classes, Mr. Carr opened up my eyes with the real life, gaunt wrenching writing that could make you smile and also make you wonder about what "really" goes on. Although he took his life, he was a crazy man. From The Great Shark Hunt possibly my favorite short story of his is his hands on experience and journalism of the events that go on during Kentucky derby. The Kentucky Derby is Decadent and Depraved is the name of the story, which includes Thompson's account of swindling people and reporting on the decadent and depraved people of the Kentucky Derby. His writing is too hard to describe in words really, so I will leave it up to you the, reader of this to go out and read some of his work. If you don't like reading than you can view, Fear and Loathing and Las Vegas, which was a movie with Johnny Depp where her portrayed Thompson to a T. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was Dr. Gonzo's most popular book, although the movie isn't as good, it's still worth the viewing.

1 comment:

  1. I really like Hunter S. Thompson too. I read some of his work in one of my other classes and really enjoyed it. I liked how he made you feel like he was with you. This was another instance in which I'm glad I saw Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas before I read his work because it helped with the visual imaging. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete